When Josh and I started planning our honeymoon, going to Europe was a no-brainer. For those who are new to the blog, I grew up in Europe – specifically Athens, Greece. I have wanted to go back multiple times through university and starting my career and the moment I felt like I was ready to do so – the pandemic hit.
This delayed my plan to go back but in the meantime, it gave me one of the best love stories – in my opinion.
Going back to Greece allowed me to show my husband where I grew up. It gave me the chance to introduce him to my family back there that couldn’t make it to our wedding. I got to see them interact with him and love him and my heart will hold on to those moments forever.
So when we planned our honeymoon, we sat down and first went over what was important to us. What did we want to see, how busy did we want it to be, what are some of our favourite places in the world and how can we make it all work in the timeline that we had.
After some brainstorming, we came up with the following places to see in 3 weeks.
- Athens, Greece – where I grew up and where my family was
- Mykonos, Greece – you can’t go to Greece and not do some island hoping
- Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Italy – neither one of us had been to the Amalfi and we had heard great things
- Capri, Amalfi Coast, Italy – same reason as above
- Positano, Amalfi Coast, Italy
- Rome, Italy – Josh’s favourite European city and after being there, I can definitely see why
- Barcelona, Spain – this was one of bucket list cities to visit and if we’re going to be around the Mediterranean, we had to
- Porto, Portugal – neither one of us had been to Portugal and we had heard great things about Porto.
We broke it down as follows and even though there was some back and forth we got to see and experience all that we wanted to.
- Athens, Greece- 3 days
- Sounio, Greece – 1 day
- Mykonos – 3 days
- Sorrento – 2 days ( split up)
- Capri – 1 day
- Positano – half a day
- Rome – 3 days
- Barcelona – 3 days
- Porto – 2 days